|Our Gap Year programme offers three months of preparation in mission, team and faith, followed by a six-month placement working alongside existing teams in communities around the world.|
We accept people of all ages (aged 18+) and also welcome applications from married couples and families. You get a chance to be world changers, taking the message of God’s love to those who have never heard it!
Equipping for Service (E4S) Part 1 focuses on discipleship and spiritual growth, as well as key preparation for working in a cross-cultural environment. It is a course that expands your thinking, helps you engage with the wider world, and teaches how to share your faith in diverse contexts and with different people. Trainees form a strong community and engage with local churches, projects and multicultural groups, which model the stimulating and challenging context of overseas work. The course includes:
- Training by experienced staff in areas such as cross-cultural missions, spiritual warfare, and bible study - as well as in practical areas such as food hygiene and travel safety
- An emphasis on personal spiritual growth and mentoring
- An underlying theme of developing a servant’s heart, and how to be an effective team member
- Participating in the life and work of the centre team
- Voluntary placements in the local community
The course takes place mainly at our UK base in Llanelli, South Wales, but also involves one week in London exploring world religions. Click here to see an example of course content for 2012.
Please email us with any questions or to request a more thorough explanation of the course vision and learning outcomes.
The placement is an amazing opportunity to work alongside one of our teams for six months. Our teams are located throughout the world, some are small, others large - some are in cities, others in rural locations. What they all have in common is that they will welcome your assistance and greatly inspire your faith!
World Horizons’ teams are at work in over 30 countries, on a wide variety of projects. Placements are available in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, as well as Europe and South America. Previous Gappers have been involved in: care work in an orphanage, teaching assistance in an Asian school, running a craft business alongside nationals, working with a church planting and evangelism team, learning Arabic and doing campus outreach. Let us know where and what you are interested in and we will seek to place you in a team.
Just like Jesus' disciples, you will generally be sent out in twos and will work with a family or existing team. All placements involve sensitive outreach to the local people you will be living and working alongside.
All placements involve sensitive outreach to the local people you will be living and working alongside.
- E4S Part One for Gap Year costs £2,000. This is fully inclusive of accommodation, food, training, administration, and all costs for the trip to London. It also includes placement preparation in January and a Celebration Week in July (after placement).
- Medical and Travel Insurance is NOT included in the course costs. Insurance is compulsory for all UK and overseas trainees for the duration of their placement. You can either arrange your own insurance before arrival, or, once you have decided where to go on your placement, the training staff will assist you in purchasing a policy appropriate for your country. This usually costs around £250.
- Placement costs vary but are typically between £2,000 and £3,000. This is inclusive of flights, internal travel, admin costs, food and accommodation.
How to apply
Please apply as early as you can so that we can process your application and book your place on the course.
- Please read the document links below (click on them)
- Gap Year Application Form
- Gap Year Further Information (timings, application process, kit list)
- Cost Sheet
- Code of Conduct
- Fill in the application form and return it to us.
- Upon receipt of your application, we will apply for references.
- Providing your references are satisfactory, you will then be called for an interview.
If you have any questions please contact us (click here) or give us a call.
Alternatively come to one of our Step Weekends or conferences and have a chat to us, we'd love to meet you!